Boar Spear (long quillons)

I had a request to make a large boar spear with long quillons. Here's how I did it. I used a piece scrap which I think was from a spring tooth harrow or other cultivator. I didn't worry too much about steel type, as the spear does not need to be razor sharp. After flattening out the curve, I marked cut lines with soapstone, then with a cold chisel (once the steel is hot, lines are a lot easier to see and follow if there is a small groove there already). The scrap was fairly thick, about 3/8 inch (check) so I allowed some room for expansion while forging. (That is, if I wanted to end up with a spear point 12" long, I marked it about 9" long).

Hot cut lines around spearpoint. For now, I'm leaving it attached to the rest of the scrap for a handle.

Neck in just below quillons. I used the horn of the anvil and a cross peen hammer, which works well for something this large, but if you have top & bottom swage that would probably be even better.

Spread quillons and rough shape. Don't try to get them perfect at this point.

Bend the quillons back away from the blade, so you have room to work on the spearpoint.

Rough out the spearpoint. I started to taper the sides, but left the edges pretty thick. Then bend the quillons over the blade so you can work on the socket.

It can be tricky to decide just what shape the socket should be, so I recommend getting your spear shaft (or a similar one, doesn't have to be exact) and cut out a piece of stiff paper that will fold around the end of the shaft. Use this as a guide while shaping the socket. First, cut off the excess metal (remember that the socket will gain some length as you work it, but you can always trim off excess.)

Now work the metal into the shape you need for the socket. You generally will need to narrow it near the spearpoint and spread it out at the far end. Keep checking against your patten and adjust as needed. You don't need to match the pattern exactly, but try to get pretty close.

At this point I was in a bit of a hurry to finish before the weather turned bad, so did not take as many pictures. I bent the quillons back again, filed the blade to shape and filed the edge. I filed the blade overall to smooth it a bit, but did not try to make it perfectly smooth. Then did a final shaping on the quillons, final shaping on the socket end, and punched a hole in the edge of the socket end.

I quenched the first few inches of the spearpoint in oil and tempered to a blue. I wanted to harden it a bit to the tip wouldn't bend, but it's more important that it be tough than super-sharp. Rolled the socket and burned on beeswax for a black finish.


Back to Blacksmith Page

Back to Main Page